Friday 2 July 2010

Pink Saturday and Today’s Flowers

Can’t resist posting in both this week as I have some beautiful blooms to show you.

Peonies -

Peony or paeony is a name for plants in the genus Paeonia, the only genus in the flowering plant family Paeoniaceae. They are native to Asia, southern Europe and western North America. Boundaries between species are not clear and estimates of the number of species range from 25 [1] to 40.[2]

Most are herbaceous perennial plants 0.5–1.5 metres tall, but some resemble trees up to 1.5–3 metres tall. They have compound, deeply lobed leaves, and large, often fragrant flowers, ranging from red to white or yellow, in late spring and early summer.

As a child I remember large heavy blooms of deepest red. The leaves I used often for foliage in flower arrangements but I never appreciated the diversity of these flowers.

Last week I bought 5 blooms from my local supermarket for £3.00 – can you believe how cheap that was?

006

They have gradually opened during this week and have a delicate sweet fragrance.

001

005

007

I must buy some plants for my garden next year. They are stunning aren’t they?

Do you get really excited when you see something really beautiful especially when it has not cost a fortune? I do.

 

Now check out the other blogs

Click here for Pink Saturday

so-just-what-is-pink-Saturday.html

 

And more fab flowers are here -

Click on this link to see more of natures beauty.
http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/

TODAY'S FLOWERS TEAM
LUIZ SANTILLI JR. - DENISE IN VIRGINIA - LAERTE PUPO - VALKYRIEN

14 comments:

  1. These are absolutely luscious. What beautiful captures of this gorgeous flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, they always remind me of Mum too - hers were so beautiful at 77 Marldon. I have a couple of plants but missed the blooms this year as they opened - and died - while I was on safari! Bob took a couple of pics of them for me.

    So glad that the news about Ollie is good and that he can go on his trip to Sweden. Bet that was a great b'day present for Mike! Yes, Bob will celebrate 70 here in Manchester on the 5th - he thanks you for the good wishes and will look forward to opening his card when we get home (7/10).

    Very hot here and I was so hoping for cool weather - 95 tomorrow when we go to the parade! Perhaps a bit cooler in Canada next week!

    Hugs - miss you.
    Love from Bob, Jasmin and moi XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful... such soft pinks.
    They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have a dreamy feel to them because of all the soft pink petals. I can almost smell them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh a little bee would get lost amongst all those beautiful petals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are gorgeous indeed, what an amazing shade of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very pretty flowers and great pictures!!
    Hope you enjoyed your flowers for many days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oops forgot to tell you that the blooms are just about 1.5 inches wide in clusters at the top of the stems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely delightful - both the flowers and your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I can almost smell them!

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love peonies... my mother has had them in every garden she has ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm an absolute sucker for peonies. Unfortunately our climate is not co-operative at all. Love the colour of the second last one, although I would not say no to any one of them. Enjoy them while they last.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - it's just nice to know that you dropped in. If you don't have a Google account use anonymous but leave your name if I know you please.

JJ