Monday 23 August 2010

Roast Beef and all the trimmings

Thought I would tell you what beef I like to cook as few people have heard of it.
I always buy a cut of beef called ‘Aitch Bone’ or locally known as Tag End. An old fashioned cut from the top end of the rump. Originally supplied with the bone in but now available boned and rolled. It is full of flavour and very, very tender if cooked slowly as it is really lean.
However, if you like your beef pink or bloody this cut is not for you. Sirloin or Ribs would suit you better.

It has a grainy appearance and tends to go to a point at one  end – hence ( I assume) ‘Tag End’. the above photo shows the meat as quite red whereas I would look for a darker piece which had been hung for a longer time.
I normally just put it in a roasting tin with an onion cut in half , a parsnip for flavour and a little water to create some steam. Another old fashioned tip. Add a little oil or dripping to keep it moist.I season it with salt and pepper and a little dry mustard.
It is put in the oven with the lid on for 25 minutes per pound and 25 minutes over. Oven temperature is difficult to advise on I as usually cook on an AGA and have no idea what the temperature is! I would say a moderate oven.Half an hour before finishing remove the lid and baste the joint.
Remove from the oven and keep warm. Pour the juices from the pan into a a fat separator, if you have one ( great little gadget) -


Because the spout is at the bottom of the jug and the fat floats to the top, you can pour out all the juices without pouring out anymore fat than you want. You do need some for flavour and consistency. Alternatively you can skim off the fat from the top with a spoon.
Sprinkle flour over the base of the pan and cook gently for a few minutes and then add the remaining juices and stir. I sometimes add red wine, or beer or plain water to make the required amount of gravy. . Season and, if lacking in flavour add a stock cube.
Serve with roast potatoes, root vegetables and a green veg and, of course Yorkshire puddings.

Recipe for Yorkshire pudding –
Ingredients
3 oz (75 g) plain flour
1 egg
3 fl oz (75 ml) milk
2 fl oz (55 ml) water
2 tablespoons  dripping
seasoning

Method

Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Break the egg into it and beat, gradually incorporating the flour, and then beat in the milk, 2 fl oz (50 ml) water and seasoning . Leave to rest in the fridge if you have time. About 15 minutes before the beef is due to come out of the oven, increase the heat to gas mark 7, 425°F (220°C), add the dripping to a tin and put in the oven.Remove the meat, then place the tin over direct heat while you pour the batter into the sizzling hot fat. Return the tin to the oven on the highest shelf available. The pudding will take 25-30 minutes to rise and become crisp and golden. Serve as soon as possible.
If it does not rise – buy some from your local supermarket!



Some people like English mustard as an accompaniment or horseradish. Whatever your preference – ENJOY.
Another delicious cut of beef is Skirt. I will tell you about that next time
JJ

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent of an aitch cut would be here. I think it is actually called a rump roast as it looks and sounds very similar. Thanks to you after reading this post I am very hungry for Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. I think I know what I am going to be preparing this weekend and will put a rump roast on my grocery list. This all looks delicious! I love Coleman's Mustard and Horseradish with ours.
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - it's just nice to know that you dropped in. If you don't have a Google account use anonymous but leave your name if I know you please.

JJ