Sunday 12 September 2010

Today's “Flowers” 110

Last week Denise included trees in her blog so I took my camera out today to see what i could find as the flowers are fading fast as winter looms.

033
We walked over the Steam train line into a large grassy clearing. Sadly it not appear.
062
All around the field were high hedges and I went searching to see what i could find to show  you all.
031
Umm not flowers but the produce of Elder flowers. Ripe black juicy berries – they make excellent wine.

Next – blackberries, well “red” berries in this case waiting to ripen in the autumn sunshine.The blackberry is an edible fruit produced by any of several species in the Rubus genus of the Rosaceae family. The fruit is not a true berry; botanically it is termed an aggregate fruit

039
These are hawthorn berries. Created by the beautiful May flowers which smell so sweet and herald the beginning of Spring.
 046
Then I found sloes, deep purpley black, plump and ready to pick for your sloe gin.
042
048
More bird food – the seed heads of Queen Anne’s Lace.
051
Now I’m not sure what the above berries are. Looks as if they are growing on some sort of vine – perhaps bindweed ?Yes, that is what they are, similar to  Morning Glory.
053
Finally, the ever present Ivy with it’s ultra shiny leaves and seed heads ripening slowly.
An amazing bountiful Autumn harvest for our birds and small mammals to help them face the harshness of winter.
057
I will not be here for the next 3/4 weeks as we are off to Spain to get some sunshine to boost us up to face the winter.
I will of course take my handy digi camera and show you what we’ve been up to when I get back.
Bye For Now
JJ
skinny dip
And more fab flowers are here -
Click on this link to see more of natures beauty.
http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/

TODAY'S FLOWERS TEAM
LUIZ SANTILLI JR. - DENISE IN VIRGINIA - LAERTE PUPO - VALKYRIE

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful series of photos, great information as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice variety of autumn berries! Thanks for sharing!
    I wish you a pleasant stay in Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sequence of beautiful shots. I like to see what comes after the flowers so enjoyed the berries and seed heads very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found a plethora of treats to share!
    Wonderful detailed closeups and the scenic views are beautiful!

    Carletta's Captures

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your shots of the berries! They truly are as beautiful as flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The countryside larder is filling fast - I wonder if it heralds a hard winter? Beautiful shots :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful place. Very lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Berry beautiful! Love the autumn light, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thoroughly enjoyed these. I love the flowers but I also love the scenic shots. Thanks JJ.
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  10. The green grass displays a fresh and natural carpeting, these are all gorgeous shots.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment - it's just nice to know that you dropped in. If you don't have a Google account use anonymous but leave your name if I know you please.

JJ