Wednesday 14 October 2009

DAY 4 OF OUR CRUISE

And it must be Lisbon.

Docked at 7.a.m. after a calm trip to watch the sun come up via the TV camera on the Bow.

image

The 25 de Abril Bridge (Ponte 25 de Abril "25th of April Bridge"is a suspension bridge connecting the city of Lisbon, capital of Portugal, to the municipality of Almada on the left bank of the Tagus river. Because of its similar colouring, it is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, USA. In fact, it was built by the same company (American Bridge Company) that constructed the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and not the Golden Gate, also explaining its similarity in design.

image

 

The Statue of Christ (Cristo Rei) is across the Tagus River from Lisbon. Citizens of Lisbon who were grateful that Portugal did not join the fight in World War II built the statue as a thanks to God. The statue is a replica of the Statue of Christ the Redeemer on Corcovado in Rio de Janiero, Brazil (although smaller).

Not feeling great today, one of my tired days so we decided to breakfast in the dining room as it is waiter service and less hectic. Won’t go again though. We were shown to a table with 8 other people on it which meant conversation first thing in the morning – O No!

The waiter was grumpy when I asked for an orange juice and the mushroom omelette was not mushgood(Get it?) We walked the deck but I really did not want to go ashore and finally gave in & went for a nap at 11am. Felt better after that so then lunch. Now. Up until now I have avoided the sweet stuff but today I spotted like a French fruit tart with crème patisserie and put one on my plate and then …………. I spotted PECAN PIE.

image

 

Well, it just had to done, I helped my self to the smallest bit and a smidgin of whipped cream and it didn’t let me down. Best sweet thing so far.

image

We were moored just in front of the  bridge and expected to reverse back on departure but no …………… we edged forward and it looked for all the world that we would not go under. We did – of course.

Dinner was good again with loads of choice and after we went to watch some ballroom dancing but didn’t participate. Some of the people were quite good; I’d give ‘em “7” but some, despite having had lessons, were very funny. One guy doing the Paso doble was hysterical, I felt sorry for his partner.

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment - it's just nice to know that you dropped in. If you don't have a Google account use anonymous but leave your name if I know you please.

JJ